Friday, October 9, 2015

Mislead by distress, continued...

Lifetime Art Impressions, LLC photo- Your world is skewed if you can't see beyond the mirror image. 

Click on the below article link to obtain background information to this blog post:


My article was inspired by an interview Oprah did with former President, Jimmy Carter. He was talking about feeling the weight of the world on his shoulders as President of the United States but this was not because he was self-centered or felt better than anyone else. It was because of his empathy he held for those in the world. He continues to do a lot of work worldwide in helping communities struggling to survive. He communicated that the more he has worked with those less fortunate (post presidency) the more he realized that these people are not inferior in any way. They are intelligent, loving, decent people with whom he is honored to interface with, learn from and help. I could feel his empathy and the sincerity of his values.

I too have learned the value of empathy. As a child who grew up poor I saw many adults and peers look down their noses at me through the eyes of individuals who felt superior. Why not? I was a scrappy, little girl. I may have been this scrappy little girl, but beneath my second hand clothes dwelled a vulnerable innocent child. There was no mistaking the glares of those who didn’t have time for me in their world; the looks spoke volumes. Perhaps this is what drove me to work so diligently to achieve stability in my life. And, as I became independent, it has been important for me to reach to others in an effort not to look down at those less fortunate but to empathize with them and extend a hand to help them move beyond the life difficulties that have held them back.

It is what drives me in my new career as a Mental Health Counselor. I’m starting out with my foot in the door with my limited license with sincere hopes to help as many individuals as possible. I want to be a beacon of light that shines into the darkness to warm the world one person at a time.

If each of us are sincere in our efforts and we can make a difference in even one person’s life, we’ll make the world a more loving place! I challenge you to look beyond your own needs and to reach to another because by doing so it will give back 10 fold!


What are you doing to make the world a better place? Leave me a note and let’s talk about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment