Sunday, October 11, 2015

Dream work and psychology, continued...


Lifetime Art Impressions, LLC photo

Click on the below article link to obtain background information to this blog post:


I often wonder if I created a journal of all of my dreams over the years, and published it, if I would be rich and famous like Stephen King. I’ve had some pretty scary adventures over the years. As a child, a young adult and into my forties, I still have some nights filled with terror. I’m sure many of these earlier dreams stemmed from growing up in an environment tainted by domestic violence. Who knows how many years of nighttime trauma it took me to understand and work through such suppressed fear and emotion.  Of course, the awareness of this in my awakened hours helped me to process also. I really got into dream work during my divorce about 15 years ago. I did log a good number of my dreams and took the time to look up the symbols and themes for interpretation. After unraveling the dream with a little help from my dream dictionaries, the message always seemed to make sense to me. The more I was able to overcome my fears during my sleeping hours (the braver I got in my dreams) the more I pushed forward in my daytime life. I was convinced this link was very real and empowering.

Today, after achieving my Master’s Degree in Clinical Mental Health Counseling, I am even more convinced of this healing path.

These days, with the Internet at our fingertips, dream interpretation is pretty easy.  I’ve used DreamMoods.com among many others websites and books. I challenge you to write down a dream and then really consider the theme, your feeling while it was taking place and the items, people, names, colors, places, and things said in the dream. Interpret it all and then put the puzzle pieces together to decipher its message. I think you too will be as amazed as I have and continue to be through the process. It leaves me awestruck each and every time I process a dream. I believe it is a celestial gift that many of us never unwrap.


Give it a shot and then let me know if it was helpful or not. I’m curious.

1 comment:

  1. I am a neurologist who shares your passion for writing. I recorded my dreams for two years and wrote a novel entirely based on them. I published it a year ago. In the process, I learned the person who lives in our dreams is born with a distinctive set of virtues. Some we shed as we grow up, but others remain intact in our dream persona throughout our entire life. We can find them in our dreams, regain these qualities, and become better individuals. Fascinating, isn’t it?

    ReplyDelete