Saturday, August 15, 2015

Perfectionism stifles the human experience, continued...


Lifetime Art Impressions, LLC photo

Click on the below article link to obtain background information to this blog post:


“In a perfect world…,” I can’t tell you how many times I’ve used this phrase; our world is far from perfect and I believe this to be a good thing. Without its flaws it would be mundane. Think of all of the triumphs in your life, had the world been perfect you would not have had these experiences. My quest for perfectionism just about killed me in my young adult life. I was adamant that I had to be the perfect mother, cook, housekeeper, wife, daughter, sister, employee and so on; and, this didn’t work out so well for me. When we are putting all of our energy into being perfect in all areas of our lives, we drain ourselves physically and mentally. We become disappointed with not only ourselves but with those who surround us to. We expect too much, the impossible day after day!

I think the intent is good beneath the expection, we just want the best in our world but we’re not considering that the best is still flawed. We have to be realistic and when we’re able to do this, we stop sacrificing our peace of mind and energy, which is really to precious to give away unnecessarily.

My creative spirit, over the years, has helped me to come to appreciate my flaws. When I mess up in a drawing or work of art, I now try to embrace it and work to make this new attribute part of the piece. It may have not been in my original vision but it was something that came to the surface and exposed itself and I believe this was a piece of vulnerability that needed to come forward. When we can focus on the good stuff in life instead of trying to control an outcome and just put forth our best, somehow the universe helps puts the pieces together and it all tends to work out.


When I think of all the time I have spent worrying about things that were out of my control, I realized how I sacrificed my health. Today, perfection still rears its ugly head but I am a bit quicker to notice it and then realign by pulling back the reigns a bit. I’m getting there. How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment