Sunday, March 29, 2015

Turning strangers into friends, continued...


Photo of Carlyn Shaw and her friend provided by Carlyn Shaw

Click on the below article link to obtain background information to this blog post:


Carlyn Shaw described how she shifted her life after the tragedy she suffered.

In her words, “I began to hear my own whisper on what I was to do to not only heal myself, but to connect with my friends (via a Spiritual Medium I have had in my life for the past 7 years). I have embraced all that has crossed my path as a learning experience. And, my intuition has yet to fail me. The only times I have let myself down, are the times I did not listen to it, but again, I am learning.” 

She has learned that she is her best advocate.

She described, “I believe we can heal ourselves from perceived labels and assumed setbacks. My mission is to share this with others because if I have been able to do this for myself, I know others can do it too. Our thoughts and our mind are way more powerful than most believe. If the little voice in your head, that only you will ever know intimately, is not being nice to you, then how is your body supposed to heal? Healing starts with self-love and acceptance; understanding that a label does not define someone, it is only a small part of them. I am not MS, but I do let MS fuel me. I learned how to get along with it, instead of fighting it. I learned to love all of myself. This did not happen overnight, it took work, but that is just it; so many want a quick fix, a pill, something to make us better, but we must start by looking in the mirror and making a choice to help ourselves. But, I also believe in the power of support verses sympathy. This is how my passion for Turning Strangers into Friends surfaced. I have met some of my best friends as a result of MS. These are the unlikely friends, the ones that we don’t expect to have in our life, but once we do, we can’t imagine living without them. We are all connected, this I truly believe. It is one of my additional gifts to see how all of these dots are connected and I try to share this gift with others, too.” 

The answer to healing is within.

Carlyn explained,I credit my 'why not' vs 'what if' mentality and my ability to follow my intuition as being key to my healing process. I was so young to experience what I did. Sure I am fortunate to have been raised by supportive parents, but even they did not know how to handle all that happened to me. I made the choice to not allow it to get the best of me; to celebrate life in honor of my friends and the fact that I could walk. Even when I lost my teeth, I never once thought to hide my face, but rather to have fun with the fact I was a pretty girl with a crooked grin...I never let my accident steal my smile. I don’t know where this power came from in me, why I have always been programs to overcome the obstacles along my path, but I don't know any other way to live. For me, it takes more energy to be negative because it comes natural to be positive. I am blessed to be as optimistic as I am. My MS Walk team (* a 3-day, 50 mile walk I did for 4 years) I named, Team OptMiStic.”

Her life is guided by a celestial power. 

Carlyn shared, “I know there is a power greater than us. First of all, I have been able to communicate with friends of mine that have died; just because we cannot tangibly see a power, does not mean it does not exist. There is way too much serendipity in my world to say it is coincidence. I can feel when I am in the flow, just as much as my sixth sense when something is not right. In addition, I am a manifester; long before The Secret and the movie What the Bleep, somehow, a few years after my journey began, I began living what these movies taught, completely unaware that there was a science or a power to thank for this. I began to feel the guidance I was asking for to show up in the most amazing ways and I knew, the Universe was not only looking out for me, but I could ask for help from my guides. If I declared with my head and my heart what I sought, and trusted it in the hands of this higher power, I could co create and manifest magic. It’s all pretty cool.”

Her advice if you’re struggling to heal, “Begin by being nice to yourself. I know it is hard, but please know that you deserve it. You deserve to be healed. You are loved and you are supported. I started, one step at a time, to take control of my thoughts and my ego. I had to stop beating myself up in my mind, stop comparing my life to others and start by creating the version of me I wanted to be in the world. No one can steal your sunshine. You are your own light. And even in darkness, there is always light.” 


Carlyn’s closing words, “This week marks 5 years I have been MS Medication free. This was a personal choice; one I knew I had to do for myself. It is also my 5th year being a runner, as I went off my meds within months of my first half marathon. Next month I will accomplish a dream I never knew I had until I gave myself permission: I am running the 2015 Boston Marathon for MS, as I say, I am running for those that can't and to remind all of those newly diagnosed people that they can still have the same dream.”



You can interface with Carlyn on her Facebook page, facebook.com/StrangersToFriends , twitter @Stranger2Friend and/or her website www.StrangersToFriends.com. You can also email her, carlyn@carlynshaw.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment