Friday, November 14, 2014

Reverse any negative value, continued...

Lifetime Art Impressions, LLC Reverse Value Drawing

Click on the below article link to obtain background information to this post:


I love this project. A reverse value drawing forces the artist to think in an opposite perspective; to challenge rules and normal beliefs. We are so used to drawing in the dark shades and adding hues to a light backdrop creating from an opposite space forces the mind to bend. It requires us to step outside of the box and, perhaps to work with a discomfort or fear. It is much like life; we spend at least half of our lives in the darkness; physically at night and many times philosophically.

My reverse value drawing is of a sunset. It took me about 1 hour to create and as you can see the drawing is quite simple although it pops out of the space nicely. It took some time for me to get used to this and it will probably take you some time too. If you’re thinking about challenging yourself with this stimulating project, look for black and white photos to draw from, it makes it a bit easier.

All you need is black paper and a white crayon, colored pencil or piece of chalk; any or all will work. If you Google black and white images, you’ll get a lot of ideas for drawings or perhaps you have your own photo to utilize like I did when I drew the sunset.


If I’ve enticed you to do this project, leave me a comment and let me know how it turned out. I am curious!

No comments:

Post a Comment