Wednesday, October 8, 2014

An intelligent human being, continued...

Lifetime Art Impressions, LLC photo

Click on the below article link to obtain background information to this blog post:

Examiner article

I am taking a class on Assessments and Analysis currently and as I am being tested and learning how to assess such tests, I am gaining a better understanding of how variables can impact ratings. The IQ test I mentioned in the article was frustrating to me but I was taking it during a time when my tolerance was being compromised; my power had been out for several days and, because of this my anxiety level was high. Many things, like even test anxiety, can negatively impact how we score.

I did not have any idea about the controversy going on in the educational system relevant to testing and compensation to schools connected to higher ratings/scores. It seems that the need for high testing scores is causing more of a “teach to test” environment that may be sacrificing the scope of education.

I believe there must be a middle ground to pursue; where things are not just black and white but a shade of grey. I am far removed from this debate but I wonder how much of the assessment rankings consider the many types of intelligences that Gardner discovered. It is something to think about.


What are your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment