Friday, September 26, 2014

Behavior modification, continued...


Lifetime Art Impressions, LLC Photo

Click on the below article link to obtain background information to this blog post:


I have used positive reinforcement for years with my children. I used to motivate them with praise, with money or with other rewards like visiting family or playing games etc., It can be a controversial topic because, bribery, as some might frame it, seems like a pay for performance type of mindset. I agree but, in utilizing this, you have to find a balance. If you give your kids everything without making them earn anything then they become “entitled” and, if this is the case, you’ll have a hard time utilizing positive reinforcement with them.  I balanced this technique by offering up the reward system some times but also requesting help other times with a statement, “You’re helping me because you love me and I’m good to you!”


I still wanted their heart to be part of the picture but I did like rewarding their hard work. It has worked well for me although I can’t say I’ve tried it on adults yet. It seems like a good tool to add to the life arsenal.  I found it interesting to discover in a counseling textbook. What are your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment