Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Blessings surround you, continued...



Lifetime Art Impressions, LLC photo

Click on the below article link to obtain background information to this blog post:


For a recent school assignment I researched the evolution of women’s rights and, during this process, I wrote about the sexual revolution and how the church played a role in shunning sexuality in these early years.

This resulted in a fight for the rights of abortion; many lives were lost because of the back-alley abortions women had resulting in infection and other unhealthy consequences.  You may be quick to judge this choice but until you’ve walked in the shoes of a person suffering this situation, you do not have any idea what this woman has went through. As a Christian it is not appropriate for me to judge this individual but to offer prayers of healing.

Are you thinking why didn’t this woman just use contraception instead of being negligent in her behavior? During this time in history, this too was shunned by the church and illegal. Strong women of the past have fought for the right to protect oneself from pregnancy, after all the role of women was believed to be barefoot and pregnant. Now, for me, this phrase is derogatory and inappropriate. If you want to be barefoot and pregnant, this is your right and, as a mother, you are serving the most important role. But, if you wish to be anything outside of the home, I am thankful, today, we have these opportunities of choice. As a mother, I can’t think of anything more important but I am more than the title of this role.  As my kids grow into adults, my passions have blossomed in birthing inner-fulfillment as a business owner, artist, teacher, counselor; overall I serve as a humanitarian advocate as I work to make the world a better place. I am a leader today and, had I existed even 50 years ago, I could only serve as a follower. This is disheartening to me. The world is full of leaders and followers and while some people are better in a supportive role as a follower, the fact that, regardless, we have a choice to be either; today, as a woman you can be a doctor or a nurse and vice versa as a man. This is pretty great.

History teaches us so much and, for me, it gifts a newfound appreciation for the present time and the freedom I so appreciate in my world today.

I realize the topics I touched on are very controversial, what are your thoughts about this?

No comments:

Post a Comment