Friday, February 21, 2014

Shamed into a good person, continued...



Lifetime Art Impressions, LLC photo

Click on the below article link to obtain background information to this blog post:


I have always tried, as a parent, to separate my child from his action when I was disciplining him.  I worked hard to keep my logic and to make sure I didn’t get lost in my anger causing me to inappropriately say something I would regret later.  It’s the mindset and message that the child isn’t bad but consequently, the decision he or she made is bad.

I believe knowing the difference between shame and guilt and the critical role this plays in parenting can make a significant difference in the health of the child as he or she grows into an adult.  Shaming someone is essentially depleting the self-worth of this person.  Although this type of behavior is common in our society, it is not a healthy approach.

Have you been shamed into a good person through childhood conditioning? What are your thoughts about this treatment?

No comments:

Post a Comment