Thursday, January 30, 2014

Search for meaning in suffering, continued...



Lifetime Art Impressions, LLC photo

Click on the below article link to obtain background information to this blog post:


I can understand how someone who feels his or her life life is without purpose, can feel lost and hopeless.  As Viktor points out, the awareness of this meaning of life keeps one from developing a void; something you are unable to fill created by suffering and manifested through this loss of hope.

When you lack meaningful content in your life, this void becomes overwhelmingly painful and this pain drains your will to live.

According to Viktor, this life meaning is different to all and shaped to any “given moment”.  A doctor cannot answer this question for a client but he or she can help a client discover it.  One needs to look at it as if life is asking you, "what is life's meaning?" and your response should entail some sort of responsibility.  He said, "Live as if you are living for the second time.” And, he goes on to say, live as if your first go around was lived very wrong. Leave the past behind and interpret your life task as either a “responsible to society or your responsible to your own conscience”, this is left to the patient or to you to decide.  Viktor called this Logotherapy. The therapist’s role is, “To widen and broaden the vision of the patient.”

Here are the remaining verses from my “go to” affirmation phrase from the King James Version Bible, 23:1 “A Psalm of David.

"The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. 23:2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. 23:3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
23:4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
23:5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. 23:6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever." (Psalm 23:1-6 KJV).”

The church hymn I so cherish, I Surrender All, was composed by Judson W. Van DeVenter.

This writing offers much food for thought, I’m curious of your response.  Do you have “Go To” installations of hope?  What is it?

No comments:

Post a Comment