Friday, November 1, 2013

Breast cancer and your diagnosis, continued...



Lifetime Art Impressions, LLC photo

Click on the below article link to obtain background information to this blog post:


I have Fibrocystic breast. According to NLM.NIH.Gov, these are lumpy breast. This means when I go for a mammogram I have always had to go to a follow up visit for an ultrasound to view a lump that’s been there for years.

Although, a couple of years ago, the day after Halloween, I had to go one step further and visit the surgeon to have a lump, which turned out to be a cyst, tested. The surgeon used a needle to drain the cyst, which basically dissolved it.

I was extremely stressed. I imagined a lot of horrible stuff over the few days between the ultrasound and the 45 minutes I spent on the table with the surgeon.

I remember sitting in the waiting room and looking at all of the anxious women who surrounded me. I knew these women, just like me, were farther along in this process and a good portion of the people in this room would be given the horrible diagnosis of cancer. It was a sobering experience.  I tried to make peace with my circumstances as I sat on the edge of this life changing moment.

I was lucky that day; my prayer for the others was to allow them to be lucky enough to survive whatever diagnosis they received at that time.

I have not had my mammogram yet this year although I am working with my doctor to figure out what is draining my health. I’ve had some undiagnosed symptoms and once I’ve figured out what is causing these, I’ll get back on track with other healthy visit testing like my mammogram.
I take my health seriously and I’m hopeful you are doing the same.

Whatever you’re feeling, don’t take it for granted. Cherish your life and do this by going to the doctor for well visits such as mammogram appointments. It is the best gift you can give to you and to those whom you love!

No comments:

Post a Comment