Friday, August 9, 2013

Helping or hurting, continued...


Lifetime Art Impressions, LLC photo

Click on the below article link to obtain background information to this blog post:

Examiner article

I am someone who is drawn to the underdog; most of the time I want to help and it drives me crazy when I can't. I am learning, though, that certain help in certain situations can be toxic. I am learning this in my Licensed Professional Counseling program. This is why counselors help clients figure out how to solve their problems instead of "telling them what to do", which is what people initially want.

Instead of solving their problems during therapy, the therapist works with the client to teach him or her how to problem-solve. Otherwise, the client will become dependent on the therapist life-long.

I am in favor of everyone helping everyone. I just want to make sure we are all giving the right kind of help. Think about this next time you lend a hand to someone. Instead of helping them get up, teach them the strategic moves it takes to maneuver and get up on their own next time they fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment