Sunday, January 6, 2013

Lifespan significance, continued...



Lifetime Art Impressions, LLC photo

Click on the below article link to obtain background information to this blog post:

Examiner article

Yesterday I gave my son an 18th birthday party. It is hard to believe he is already 18. I'm so proud of him and his efforts so far and I can't wait to see him move forward as an independent, contributing adult in whatever area he is going to choose. As he has communicated as of late, "I'm undecided." He is college bound but not sure of a long-term goal/career yet.

This made me think of the pressure he is beginning to feel about the decisions that are creeping into his life. What he decides at this time will greatly affect the rest of his life.

Between my boyfriend and I, we have teenagers at the ages of 15, 16, 18, and 19 years old. Each as an individual fighting through whatever life challenge that seems to take priority. I wouldn't want to be a teen again nor would I wish another teen on us. I say this with love! These kids are blessings but it is really a stressful time as they are challenged to become independent. It is a big responsibility to properly mentor these young minds.

As I've shared, I too am college bound again. I enter this new phase in my middle age and this carries its own share of heightened anxiety. It was helpful to read about the physical changes in preparing for this article. I'm intrigued by our psyche and our coping mechanisms as we try to successfully maneuver through lifespan stages. I'm holding my chin high, taking a deep breath and pushing forward! In 2013 I will challenge myself in an educational forum and raise the bar as I journey through my middle ages.

Where are you in lifespan? What are your thoughts about aging? Talk to me, I'm listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment