Saturday, June 9, 2012

Allergic reactions to poison ivy, oak and sumac, continued...


Lifetime Art Impressions, LLC Photo

Click on the below article link to obtain background information to this blog post:

Examiner article

Yes, this is a current photo of my wrist broken out from weeding Poison Ivy from my yard. I have it on both arms, legs and my stomach. I'm working hard to fight through the breakout without spending the money at the doctor's office. I get this every year; it seems to be part of my welcome to the summer routine.

If you've watched the slideshow in the Examiner article, I've tested many ointments on the market. I do like the washes because they have a soothing menthol in them which seems to help. I keep a foaming bottle by my sink of Ivarest to use during the day and I keep a bottle of Tecnu, The Original, soap in my shower. In between I'm using a maximum strength anti-itch ointment. I recommend the 2% Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride as apposed to 1%. I'm using the Walgreen's store brand. The 1% ointments didn't seem to help as much. At night, I'm also taking Benadryl to help me sleep through the torturous itching spells.

One thing I've learned, it isn't just 3 leaf ivy that is poisonous as I've communicated in the article. All of the ivy in my yard is 5 leaf so "Beware."

Do you have any home remedies for a Poison Ivy rash? I would love to hear about them. I've been going into my pool often hoping the chlorine will help dry the rash up quicker!

2 comments:

  1. tea tree oil usually people put it in their hair but works great that and sand paper lol just kidding

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have purchased and try some tea tree oil and this did help soothe the itching with my 2013 August breakout; thanks!

    ReplyDelete