Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Freedom from your scars, continued...

Lifetime Art Impressions, LLC Photo

Click on the below article link to obtain background information to this blog post: Examiner article

A scar can be deceiving. On the surface, it looks like it has healed. It is sealed and seems to be mended. But, beneath this, is it still raw or fully recovered? My biggest scar is on my face. It is over my eye and under my eyebrow. It's about a 1/2 of inch in length and it causes the skin over my eye to sag a bit. I was in the back of a pickup truck when the driver accidental pulled out in front of a vehicle that was moving 55 mph. I was thrown from the vehicle and my body actually broke a wood picket fence prior to landing. The ironic thing is, I landed at my destination. I was that close to a safe arrival. I had a chipped shoulder blade, dislocated shoulder, bruises everywhere and about 12 stitches inside and a few outside of my eye.

Physically I healed within months. But, mentally, I am still suffering from this scar. I'm an uneasy passenger. I'm jumpy. On long road trips, I'm unable to rest fully when I'm not the driver. This is because I haven't successfully released myself from this scar. Freedom is in my future. I'm not embarrassed nor do I feel shame but I am fearful of a reoccurrence of a similar vehicle accident. I must admit, between my boyfriend and I, we have had survived drivers education with 4 teenagers. Two have achieved their license and two are in the process. This scenario is forcing me to face my fear (it is also causing me to visit my hairdresser more often to dye my gray hair)! It has been over 25 years and I finally feel like I'm making progress. I have hope for my freedom.

 What has scarred your life? How are you coping through the healing process? Leave me a note.

No comments:

Post a Comment