Sunday, January 8, 2012

Her story is life altering, continued...



Photo of Emma provided by Emma Mildon

Click on the below article link to obtain background information to this post:

Examiner article

Emma forwarded the below introduction when I prompted her for an overview for my readers.

“Emma Mildon is a well-known Australasian columnist who boasts a substantial publicity platform already from her ties in the Public Relations scene. A Bachelors Degree in both Journalism and Public Relations from Ryerson University in Toronto Canada and Auckland University in New Zealand gives her a combo of talents that allows her to produce and publicize her work.
Her column, 'Why Do Men Have Nipples' is widely followed throughout the teenage community in Australasia and is featured on the teen hit website, 24/7girl. Her column also made the “Online Teen Top Clicks” in a survey in Girlfriend Magazine, which included a New Zealand and Australian survey audience of 15-27 year old females.

Working as a Public Relations Manager throughout Australia, New Zealand, Dubai and Asia means that the author’s little black book of media contacts are a backing force behind the launch of License to Love. Mildon already has launch concepts in the pipeline and friends in the right places who are backing License to Love to be the ’next big teen read’. Her ability to pitch and network is a skill vital to any successful book and author’s career and the publicity plan behind License to Love looks just as successful as the book itself.

On paper her life looks rather cherry and successful, however the lost of her mother to cancer at age 16 was the turning point for her to explore spirituality, grief, depression, enlightenment and discovering how to deal with all of her thoughts and emotions - a journal...a journal which sparked her love for writing.”

I can’t imagine struggling with the loss of a parent during the most troubling time of my life, as a teenager. I wondered how Emma coped with the loss of her mother.

Her response, “At first I didn't, I lost it. I was a teenager after all! I rebelled, fought endlessly with my father, snuck out, drunk, partied - I buried myself in self-pity, why me? I had been adopted, and now the women that adopted me had died - that was a bit of bad luck don't you think!

As I grew older I explored past lives, guardian angels, meditation, spirituality, crystal healing, reiki and connected all of my life experienced in a positive light. I had gotten through all of these challenges so I could teach and support others who would experience them. I began to see myself as an earth angel, seeing the bigger picture to life.

I began to write out my feelings, experiences and healing process - it began a coping tool. I began to track signs, feathers I would find on my doorstep, adamant they were messages from my mother or angels. I began to connect with my higher self leaving grief behind me, and seeing the lesson I could learn from her passing."

She described her mom's death.

"My mother, Margaret Mildon, passed away when I was 16, nine years ago now. She was diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer and given a shot life expectancy of 3 months without treatment. Selflessly she chose treatment, believing the family and me needed the time to except her fate.

As she got worse she loss her voice, the morphine would often send her off into other worlds. I become a caregiver for her, which was very healing to me as a teen, I felt I could give back her motherly love she had given me when she had adopted me.

Every night I would sit with her, and I remember just wanting to hear her tell me she loved me - like any daughter would need at a time like this. We spoke with our eyes a lot of the time. She was a woman with a lot to say, so I am sure her mute state frustrated her more than it did me!

2 years later she went out fighting. Before her last breath she took a look over her left shoulder and smiled. Someone was there, angel or relative. This also sparked my spiritual curiosity.

Everyone left the room except for me, I don't know what made me stay there, but I felt like she had something to say. (Crazy I know as she was dead!) Just then a song clicked on the radio, the lyrics sung,

‘Saying I love you,
Is not the words,
I want to hear from you,
It's not that I want you,
Not to say but if you only knew,
How easy,
it would be to show me how you feel,

More than words,
is all you have to do,
to make it real,
Then you wouldn't have to say,
that you love me,
Cause I'd already know...’

A song called more than words, which I hear come on the radio from time to time, and always reminds me of my mother’s messages of love.

After I had healed enough from losing my Margaret I began to volunteer at the local hospice, providing support to mothers and daughters experiencing cancer. I became a friend, a sounding board and shoulder for other women who were left behind. I felt like the more people I could help, the better. Finally deciding to write a book about what I learned so I could help others around the world.

License to Love was the result of all the experiences, journal entries and love lost. The book is now set to raise money for Ovarian Cancer, with a percentage of all sales going towards the charity. It is a cancer with takes away too many mothers with too little warning.”

You can connect with Emma through her website LicenseToLove where she encourages you to share your story with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment