Saturday, September 10, 2011

World Prevention Suicide Day, continued...


Click on the below article link to obtain background information to this blog post:

Examiner article

I believe most everyone has been touched by suicide. I have an uncle who took his life when I was in elementary school and my ex-husband's cousin took his life as an adult. In my book, What Can I Say When Words Escape Me, being present in times of sorrow, I wrote a piece about suicide. All of my work blends nature and spirituality into words, art and photography. I had a really difficult time doing this composition. I lost sleep for weeks trying to wrap my mind around the thoughts of someone in this mind-set. It was really scary just thinking about this heavy and dark psyche. Eventually, in my writing, I compared its wrath to that of a tsunami. Overwhelming, destructive and out of control.

The message in the article asks that you get involved. The statistic is that for everyone one suicide there are 8 to 25 attempts. This is a means of survival for someone coping with depression. Untreated it results in death. Take a chance, you may just save a life!

No comments:

Post a Comment