Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Student of life, continued...

Click on the below article link for background information to this blog post:

Examiner

I learn something everyday and sometimes from the most unusual places and unexpected people. My kids teach me a lot. Not just stuff I forgot from school but through their young perspectives. Keeping an open mind can be very difficult but I try really hard to do it. I try also to relate to the little trends they go through and I try to pick my battles. For example, if they are doing great in school, I'm not going to freak out if they choose to skip hair cuts to try out a longer style although I would argue about an earing or tattoo (neither scenarios have presented themselves so far; thank God). They are in their early teens so I'm sure I'll be challenged much more but for now, we're doing pretty good.

One thing I have been fortunate enough to do is take my boys on some wonderful vacations. We've explored a lot and we all love doing this. I love to visit a new place and learn about their culture, taste their local foods and explore hands on in their environment. It is so exciting and educating and at the same time, it really does help me realize that life goes on everywhere and the basics are universal. I love these memories and I hope to create many more!

What did you learn today? Can you share it with me?

3 comments:

  1. Reading your blog reminds me of an author i know. Angelica Harris is a domestic abuse survivor who has healed many of her own life's struggles through writing. She also has a children's reading program in Queens, NY. Check out her website and books because the two of you might be able to work together. www.angelicaharris.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly, I will take a look at Angelica's work. Thanks for reading the post and for the lead! Take care.

    ReplyDelete