Friday, February 5, 2010

The benefits of journaling, continued...

Click the below link to my Examiner article for background information to this blog entry:

Examiner article link

I guess I really didn't realize the benefits of journaling until I wrote my first book, What Can I Say When Words Escape Me, being present in times of sorrow. I can validate that it really did give me an outlet for all of the crazy feelings that rushed in with the loss of my Father and job in 2008. I didn't really think about how it helped me until I went to a taping at Public Television with Dr. Stearns. She gave me the "light-bulb" moment offering the scientific spin on this outlet. She also noted that in studies of groups equally matched, the group that journaled were able to get a job much quicker than the group that didn't. The stat was pretty high. Why, because those who journaled worked through their feelings as apposed to the other group who had bottled their emotions up inside to fester. This type of psyche actually affects your day to day interface. What is your outlet to clear your mind? Share your thoughts with me, I would love to hear more ideas!

2 comments:

  1. I am a firm believer in journaling. I love what you wrote about this. I can't wait to open my previous journals from living abroad, years from now, and re-live my time living in Japan and China. So, you write for the Examiner?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it is not for any financial gain but it keeps me on track and balanced. I love finding inspirational topic to short in short articles. I'm always looking for "pick me up" type stuff. Pretty cool way to keep my mind in a positive realm. If you have any ideas, pass them along!

    ReplyDelete